Preparing for the Exam
CMP International Standards
The CMP International Standards (CMP-IS) are the body of knowledge for the Certified Meeting Professional program and examination. The CMP-IS defines and categorizes the skills, competencies and abilities an individual needs in order to be successful in the profession.
Required Study Texts
The following references are necessary for review of the functions performed by meeting professionals
- CIC Manual 8th Edition ($65.95 USD)
- CIC International Manual ($79.95 USD)
- APEX Glossary ($35.00 USD)
- Professional Meeting Management 5th Edition ($79.95 USD)
Click here to purchase study materials
Study Courses PCMA Online Prep Course - CIC Endorsed Study Course
The Professional Convention Management Association (PCMA) CMP® Online Prep™ Course has been endorsed by CIC as the only official Online Course for the CMP® Examination. The PCMA CMP Online Prep Course is the most comprehensive and effective online study tool available to CMP Exam takers. In fact, 98% of course participants have passed the CMP Exam on their first attempt. For more information on the course, please click the logo below.
MPI CMP Study Guide
The MPI CMP Online Study Guide is a new study aid to guide CMP exam preparation. Designed with busy schedules in mind, the Study Guide efficiently assists in the preparation of an effective study plan. Created in partnership with Arizona State University, and brought to you by the MPI Foundation and Wyndham Hotel Group, the Study Guide provides a practical framework for approaching an important career milestone.
Official CMP Practice Examination Exercise
The CIC currently offers a 27-question CMP Practice Exam Exercise, developed by the Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) Board to give candidates an instant opportunity to learn how exam questions are structured.
Eligibility to take the CMP Practice Exam
- You must have submitted an Application and been approved to sit for the CMP Exam
- You must be in your one year window of eligibility to sit for the exam
Information about the Practice Exam
- First-time users should click on the "First-time registration" link when accessing the Prometric site
- Questions include the option for answer feedback, source material and textbook references
- Once you complete the Practice Exam you will no longer be able to access it.
- If the Practice Exam is not completed, candidates may access the Practice Examination for 24 hours, which begins from the moment of confirmation of purchase of the Practice Examination.
- Candidates may log in and out of the Practice Exam as many times as they want during the 24 hour period, however, once you compete the Practice Exam you will no longer be able to access the exam questions, but you can assess your score report by logging in through the ‘Secure Sign-In’ link.
Click Here to Take the Practice Exam
Official CMP Practice Examination Fee: $25.95 US and is payable by Visa, MasterCard or American Express.
Before making your purchase, please read the System Requirements. Purchases are non-refundable.
Note: The CMP Practice Examination is the property of Convention Industry Council and Prometric. Duplication in whole or part of the exam or sharing with others is prohibited. A candidate's performance on the Practice Examination does not guarantee similar performance on the actual examination.
CMP Study Groups
As administrators the CMP examination, CIC does not offer or endorse any study groups for CMP candidates. Study groups are controlled and independently managed by the member organizations that offer them.
Tools to Help you Choose a Study Group
- Analyze the time you have to prepare for the examination and the optimal location for your course.
- Choose the method of studying which you believe will be most beneficial for you. Review the course syllabus and requirements before committing to a group.
- Analyze the costs related to various preparation methods and determine your financial commitment comfort level.
- Ask for references to Study Group Leaders/Teachers from colleagues who have recently been successful in obtaining their CMP Certification. Contact those references and ask for feedback and evaluations of teaching methods and personal commitment.
Test Preparation Tips
- Study over a period of time – do not cram. Spacing out the learning increases retention.
- Read all study materials, take good notes and review material on a regular basis.
- Isolate formulas, important information, timelines, measurements and rules and put them onto notecards or study sheets.
- If you carry notecards/study sheets with you at all times you will be able to reinforce your learning throughout the weeks prior to the examination.
- Budget your time to ensure that you have enough time to prepare for the CMP examination. Avoid putting yourself in the position of being stressed. Stress decreases retention and increases memory loss.
- Commit to your chosen preparation method.
- If you are unfamiliar with your testing center of choice, travel there ahead of time to make sure you know where the entrance is, where to park, or how long public transportation takes to get there, etc.
- Watch the CMP testing site video and familiarize yourself with the test center procedures and what to expect on exam day.
- The day prior to the examination is an important preparation day. Feel free to look at important information once more but do not pull an all-nighter. Get enough sleep so that you can be analytical and can concentrate during the examination.
- If testing in the morning, set at least two alarms for wake up and have a good breakfast.
- Arrive early for your examination and try to relax so that you can think clearly.
- Be analytical -- read the questions very carefully.