Every five (5) years CMPs are required to recertify by documenting ongoing involvement in the meetings industry through employment, continuing education and professional contributions. CMPs are sent a reminder the year in which their current CMP certificate is set to expire. With that notice, CMPs receive information regarding the recertification process and instructions to access the recertification application form and 2013 CMP Recertification Guidelines.
Eligibility is based on an applicaion with two required areas of focus.
Professional Experience - Employment in the industry, full-time or part-time, for a minimum of 36 of the last 60 months
Employment as a full-time or part-time instructor of meeting, event, exhibition or hospitality/tourism management at an educational institution or in a university program, for a minimum of 36 of the last 60 months.
Formal Education - Earning a bachelor’s degree or higher or its international equivalent in any curriculum within the past five (5) years.
Continuing Education - Fulfilling twenty-five (25) clock hours of industry-related continuing education* within the past five (5) years.
Continuing Education and Industry Support Activities - Fulfilling fifteen (15) clock hours of industry-related continuing education* within the past five (5) years and participating in at least three (3) of the following activities:
Membership in a meeting/hospitality industry organization;
Member of an industry organization Board of Directors
Member of an industry organization Committee
Author of an article
Speaker at an event on an industry related subject (including study groups)
CMP Study Group Leader
Proctor a CMP Exam
Staff a CMP Booth
CMP Recertification Application
2013 CMP Recertification Guidelines
Supplemental Continuing Education Page
Please note that you are not able to electronically save the document after it is filled out unless you have Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0 or higher. Be sure to print and save a copy for yourself.
*Industry-related continuing education hours must match to a domain area in the CMP-International Standards (CMP-IS). The CMP-IS is the current body of knowledge required for CMPs and also outlines exam content. Note: It is not necessary to have your education in each of the CMP-IS exam content domain areas. CMP International Standards
Deadlines and Fees
|Recertification Early Fee || |
January 1 - April 30
|Recertification Regular Fee || |
May 1 - August 30
|Recertification Late Fee || |
September 1 - December 31
Recertification Lapsed Status
2011 or earlier
|Emeritus Status || || |
|CMP Certificate Reprint Fee || |
Follow the directions below to pay your Recertification Application fee online:
1. Click CMP Directory and login (All CMPs have a login. Please contact CIC if you do not remember your login information.)
2. Update your contact information, if necessary
3. Once you are in your record, click "Shopping Cart" on the left hand menu
4. At the top of the next screen, click "Certifications" (next to "Events")
5. At the next screen, click "Add to Cart" next to CMP
6. Under "Certification Process Summary" select Status: Certified
7. Check the appropriate application submission fee box, then click "Add to Cart"
8. On the next screen, click the "Check-Out" then complete the transaction
9. If you do not submit your application before the deadline, you will forfeit your fee