Meetings industry professionals from across the United States, Canada and Mexico joined together to host the North American Meetings Industry Day (NAMID) event on Thursday, April 16, 2015.
Meetings Mean Business (MMB), the industry-wide communications and advocacy campaign, spearheaded activities which took place in the U.S. and CIC, in collaboration with MMB, facilitated and supported CIC members, chapters and other coalition members and stakeholders in implementing the NAMID strategies and activities.
Participating countries hosted 88 events: Canada (8), Latin America (17), Mexico (16) and the U.S. (47). Additionally, our member COCAL, which is a South American-based association, supported this effort through social media efforts in seven countries. NAMID events included:rallies, press conferences, speaking panels, educational events, award presentations and proclamations.
CIC CEO Karen Kotowski joined several other industry leaders at the PCMA Capital Chapter’s "Education, Rally and Reception" event at the Omni Shoreham Hotel in Washington, D.C. Joining a dynamic list of speakers, including:
- In Las Vegas, MMB was presented with a key to city by the Mayor, who officially named April 16 North American Meetings Industry Day
- Ceasar’s Entertainment “Turned the Strip Blue” in Las Vegas with logos and signage
- The Governor of Wisconsin’s issued a proclamation in support of NAMID
- A cobranded MMB/NAMID billboard was featured all day in Times Square
- The Mayor of Toronto proclaimed April 16, 2015 as “Meetings Industry Day” in the City of Toronto
- A collaboration agreement was signed in Mexico between the federal government, the tourism board and all 11 Meetings Industry Associations
- The Mayor of Washington, DC issued a proclamation in support of NAMID
- The Mayor of Buffalo, NY recognized the industry and NAMID at his local event
- Bill Reed, CMP, President-Elect, PCMA, and Senior Director of Meetings, American Society of Hematology
- Nan Marchand Beauvois, Vice President, U.S. Travel Association
- Charles Jeffers II, Chief Operating Officer, Destination Marketing Association International
- Greg O'Dell, President & CEO, Events DC
- Kimberly Lewis, Senior VP, U.S. Green Building Council
- Chad Chappell, Director of Sales, Visit Baltimore
The event updated a packed room of attendees on the latest legislative and legal trends affecting our industry and shared next steps on how meeting professionals can advocate for the industry. The day was capped off with a Rally for the Industry and reception.
Between combined media efforts of APCO, MMB, CIC and our members, there were 57 trade media hits that focused on NAMID, as well as local coverage. And on social media, there were 697 mentions @MeetingsMeanBiz, 3,283,043 total impressions of #NAMID15, and 917,047 impressions from retweeted MMB content.