CIC Council Sets Strategic Direction - Approves Strategic Plan, Elects 2013 Board and Welcomes New Member
December 10, 2012
ALEXANDRIA, VA – December 10, 2012-- CEOs and representatives of the leading professional and trade associations in the meetings, conventions, exhibitions and events sector convened on November 12, 2012 for the annual meeting of the Convention Industry Council (CIC). At the meeting, the Board of Directors approved a new strategic plan focused on advocating the value of events, promoting excellence in professional practices and leveraging the power of collaborative and collective action.
The meeting industry’s most influential and respected leaders together mapped out a 3-year plan and outlined initiatives to advance the profession and seize new opportunities for growth. The initiatives are broken into three categories: promoting excellence through certification and accreditation programs, creating a global voice for industry issues through strong partnerships, and insuring that industry partners, government and the public have access to research and information that supports the value of meetings.
“The Convention Industry Council and Board of Directors worked together to formulate a series of exciting action plans to translate our strategic vision into reality, befitting the strength that comes from the collaboration of all of our members from every segment of the meetings industry,” said Fran Rickenbach, CAE, IOM, Executive Vice President, Association of Destination Management Executives International and newly elected chair of the CIC Board of Directors. “CIC’s expansion of certification programs and membership, as well as the synergy of the collective research efforts of both CIC and its members, will further enhance the impact CIC has on the global meetings industry.”
The CIC board also welcomed Convention Sales Professionals International as CIC newest member. Convention Sales Professionals International (CSPI), formerly the Association for Convention Sales and Marketing Executives, is dedicated to fostering a spirit of collaborative success between convention center sales professionals and their convention sales counterparts at regional destination marketing organizations (DMOs).
“The new strategic plan defines a vision for CIC and charts a course for the future,” said Karen Kotowski, CAE, CMP and Convention Industry Council’s Chief Executive Officer. “As we continue to work with the board to define specific strategies and priorities, it will provide the staff the roadmap that we need to ensure we are delivering the value our members want.”
The CIC Council of Delegates also elected the 2013 leadership. Members of the 2013 CIC Board of Directors include:
- CHAIR: Fran Rickenbach, CAE, IOM, Executive Vice President, Association of Destination Management Executives International (ADMEI)
- CHAIR-ELECT: Bob Gilbert, CHME, CHA , President & CEO, Hospitality Sales and Marketing Association International (HSMAI)
- IMMEDIATE PAST CHAIR: Stacy Tetschner, CAE, FASAE, CEO, National Speakers Association (NSA)
At-large Board Members Elected to Two-Year Term
- Michael Gehrisch, President & CEO, Destination Marketing Association International (DMAI)
- Vicki Hawarden, CMP, President & CEO, International Association of Venue Managers (IAVM)
- Allison Summers, Managing Director, Site
At-large board members continuing for another year
- Bonnie Fedchock, CAE, Executive Director, National Association of Catering Executives (NACE)
- John Graham, IV, CAE, President & CEO, ASAE: The Center for Association Leadership
- Tamara Kennedy-Hill, Executive Director, Green Meetings Industry Council (GMIC)